RCOE Pre-Intern FAQs:

1. How do I become an intern? The first phase is to enter our pre-intern program by submitting an application. During the pre-intern phase, candidates work towards meeting all of the eligibility criteria required to intern in their own classroom as set forth by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Please note: The submission of an application and application fee does not guarantee admission. For full acceptance details, please refer to our handbook.

2. What are the intern eligibility requirements? To be eligible to intern in your own classroom, pre-intern candidates must hold a bachelor's degree, pass CBEST, attend an Advisement meeting with our credential specialist, complete 165 hours of online prerequisite coursework, and provide verification of CSET and US Constitution. Once all of these requirements have been met, you will seek employment with a school district in either Riverside or San Bernardino County. You will then enter the two year intern program while teaching full time in your own classroom and earning a full time teaching salary.

3. Can I get started if I haven't passed CSET? Yes! Candidates who have not yet passed CSET are encouraged to submit an application and get started early on the additional eligibility requirements, such as the prerequisite coursework (Pre-Service coursework). The 165 hours of coursework is fully online and self-paced and should be started as soon as possible. Our program also offers online test prep for CSET to assist you while you are working toward completing all of the eligibility requirements.

4. What if I don't become intern eligible in time for the fall cohort? Candidates who do not become eligible in time for our fall cohort continue to become eligible by meeting all requirements. They have the option to enter at the next available cohort without repeating any portion of the eligibility components they've already met.

5. What happens after I become Intern Eligible? Once you have met all of the eligibility requirements, our program will provide you with an Official Letter of Intern Eligibility. This letter assists potential employers in verifying you have met the criteria required to apply for an intern credential. It is recommended that you attach this letter to any job applications you complete. Once you receive an offer of employment, you will teach full time in your own classroom while earning a full time teaching salary.

6. I have a Teaching Permit for Statutory Leave (TPSL). Can I apply this to the Education Specialist intern program? Candidates who have completed TPSL can apply that coursework as equivalency to our pre-intern prerequisite coursework (Pre-Service).

7. I have a Multiple or Single Subject credential and want an Education Specialist credential. Can I apply this to the Education Specialist intern program? Current credential holders commonly have reduced coursework for both the pre-intern prerequisite coursework (Pre-Service) as well as during the two year intern program. However, this is not guaranteed and dependent on a review of your transcripts.

8. Can you help me get a teaching job since it is required to be an intern? You must do the job-hunting yourself, however, we will assist you with determining districts that have openings as well as preparing for job interviews. We recommend you use the recruitment website edjoin.org to inquire as to needs and application process.

9. What is the difference between an Intern Credential and a Preliminary Credential? An intern credential is the credential that authorizes an intern to teach full time in their own classroom while earning their preliminary credential. The coursework and fieldwork successfully completed in our two year intern program leads to the recommendation of a preliminary credential.

10. Will a district hire me as an intern? Currently, California is experiencing a shortage of credentialed teachers. Consequently, districts look to fill openings with the next category of “highly qualified” (No Child Left Behind Act) teachers, such as District Interns.

11. What are the main benefits of your intern program? Timing, cost, and support are some of the benefits. Classes for both the pre-intern and intern program are offered in a blended delivery format (online and evenings), allowing interns to teach full time during the day. Tuition for the intern program is affordable and we offer a variety of payment options. Please see current tuition rates here. Support comes from a variety of sources: instructors, practicum supervisors, peers, and on-site mentors. The biggest benefit is that interns are able to work and learn on the job, receive credit towards tenure, and earn a teacher’s salary while earning their preliminary credential.

12. Will any of my previous college work transfer into your program? Candidates can submit a "Petition for Equivalency" for any coursework taken beyond a bachelor's degree. Your transcripts will be analyzed by our Credential Specialist and you will be notified of any equivalencies withing 4-7 days. We recommend you submit your Petition during the pre-intern phase as you may have reduced coursework for either the prerequisite coursework (Pre-Service) or the two year intern program. Please note: previous college coursework completed as part of a bachelor's degree program is not transferable.

13. I’m Intern Eligible and have received an offer of employment. What are my next steps? Once you have met all of the requirements for the intern program and received an offer of employment, you will attend an Intern Credential Meeting with our Credential Specialist. At this meeting, you will receive information regarding cohort assignment, orientation, tuition, and course schedules. 

RCOE Intern FAQs:

14. I’m ready to begin the intern program. What will my schedule be? Once pre-interns meet all eligibility requirements and receive an offer of employment, they begin our two year intern program. Our interns participate in two evening online course sessions per week as well as complete fieldwork requirements in their own classroom.

15. Do I have to complete student teaching? No. Interns teach full time in their own classroom which serves as their student teaching.

16. Can I get my Education Specialist and Multiple Subject credentials at the same time in your program? Our program currently only offers the Education Specialist credential.

17. Will I receive units for my coursework? Yes, units are assigned by our program on our official transcript form. Education Code Section 44327 states that school districts must recognize credit earned by each district intern and that it is transferable to their academic record in the same manner as if the intern had participated in a college program. Participating school districts accept our program units for the purpose of salary increases. In addition, our program has a partnership with Cal Baptist University in which our units can be applied to a Master's degree. You can contact our office for more information.

18. Do you have classes to clear my preliminary? Yes, after receiving your preliminary credential, you can enter our induction program to clear your credential.

19. Are you accredited? Yes. Our program is an accredited alternative teacher certification program, approved through CCTC (California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, phone: 916-445-7254, or at www.ctc.ca.gov). Our program meets the exact same requirements of all other California teacher preparation programs.

20. Do you have financial aid or subsidized tuition? We offer monthly payments spread across the two year program to assist interns with managing tuition. We also work with Schools First to offer monthly payments spread across a longer period (i.e. five years) for interns who desire a lower monthly payment.

21. Do I have to stay with the district that employs me? You are under contract with your district for the contract period. Interns are expected to stay with their district until the completion of their District Intern Program.

22. Are the participating school districts required to keep me employed while I am an intern? No. However, unlike other intern programs, you have probationary status with a District Intern Credential. As such, districts must notify you if you are not re-elected.

23. Is a credential through your program different than one earned at a university? No. Internship programs result in the same credential (i.e., Preliminary) as is earned through a traditional teacher preparation program. All credentials are issued by the State of California.

24. Are there any other fees associated with your program? Yes, other fees are applicable at times. For example, if you are taking a Health course, you will be required to complete CPR. Candidates must also pass RICA prior to the issuance of their preliminary credential and by the end of the two year program. Additional fees for the RICA assessment are not included in our program tuition.

25. What is CLAD? Cross-cultural, language and academic development. There is a CLAD certificate authorizing instruction to English Learners (EL). The certificate authorizes instruction for English language development (ELD) and specially designed academic instruction delivered in English (SDAIE). RCOE credentials include this authorization; our interns do not have to do any extra work or take an exam (CLAD or CTEL). For more information go to the CTC website.